Transferring from TCNJ to Another School (for F-1 Students)
- The student must be maintaining status at TCNJ
- The course of study at the transfer-in school must begin within 5 months of the end of the course of study at TCNJ, or the release date set by TCNJ, whichever is earlier; for a student on OPT (Optional Practical Training), the course of study must begin within 5 months of the end of OPT, or the release date set by TCNJ, whichever is earlier
- The student must be eligible for an I-20 at TCNJ
- The student must complete the FTransferOut form and submit it to their designated TCNJ DSO at least ONE MONTH prior to the end of the current term. The student then must begin their study at the new school in the next available regular academic term, and no later than 5 months after the date of their last attendance at TCNJ.
- Apply to another U.S. school and be admitted as a new student
- Meet with your current DSO to discuss your plans
- Complete the TCNJ TRANSFER-OUT APPLICATION and return it to your DSO to notify the Center for Global Engagement of your intent to transfer. You must indicate the name of the school you intend to transfer to and your expected completion date at TCNJ.
- The Center for Global Engagement will release your SEVIS record to your new school after your last date of attendance at TCNJ.
- Your new school cannot create an I-20 until after the “release date,” the point when TCNJ transfers your SEVIS record
- Most schools ask you to complete a transfer in form signed by the DSO at TCNJ before issuing you a new I-20.
Transferring From Another School to TCNJ (for F-1 Students)
- The student must be eligible for an I-20 at TCNJ
- The student must complete the “Transfer Out Application”, a form which will be provided by their current school (if applicable). The student must then fill out the TCNJ Transfer-In Application and submit it to their designated school’s DSO at least ONE MONTH prior to the end of the current term. The student must begin their study at TCNJ in the next available regular academic term, and no later than 5 months after the date of their last attendance at their prior school.
- The student must complete the Student Certification portion of the I-20 form to TCNJ’s DSO within 15 days of beginning attendance at TCNJ.
- Students are eligible for transfer through the end of the 60-day grace period after completion of studies. If the student transfers after completing studies, the 5-month clock begins on the date that the student finished his/her course of study at the transfer-out school.
- For students on OPT following completion of a course of study, a transfer can be done only if the student can begin studying at the new school within 5 months of transferring out of the school that recommended OPT or the date the OPT authorization ends, whichever is earlier.
- Apply to The College of New Jersey and be admitted as a new student:
- Meet with your DSO at your current institution to discuss your plans.
- Complete the FTransferIn form and return it to your current institution DSO. You must indicate the name of the school you intend to transfer to and your expected completion date at your current school. The International officer at your current school must complete and sign Pg. 2 of this form.
- Complete the I20Guide18-19 or I20Guide18-19Grad and submit it with all required documents along with your TCNJ Transfer-In Application
- Submit all documents to email@example.com:
The Center for Global Engagement
202 Roscoe West
2000 Pennington Rd
Ewing, NJ 08628
- The designated International office will release your SEVIS record to TCNJ after your last date of attendance at your current school.
- TCNJ cannot create an I-20 until after the “release date,” the point when your current school transfers your SEVIS record
- Most schools ask you to complete a transfer out form signed by the DSO at TCNJ before releasing your I-20
Transfer to Another Exchange Visitor Program (for J-1 Students)
An exchange visitor in any participant category may transfer from one program sponsor to another if the purpose of the transfer is to complete the objective for which s/he was admitted to exchange visitor status and if the exchange visitor remains within the same visitor category.
The responsible officer (RO) shall verify the exchange visitor’s status and program eligibility and contact the current sponsor to request the release of the student from their program. Upon the effective transfer date in SEVIS, the residing officer of the new program shall provide the J-1 student with his or her copy of the new form DS-2019. A transfer should be processed before the end date of the prior DS-2019.
A J-1 student must have the permission of their current program sponsor to transfer and the new program must be in keeping with the original purpose for which the exchange visitor student came to the U.S.
Steps for Transfer to Another Exchange Program:
- The J-1 student must complete and submit to the Center for Global Engagement the REQUEST FOR TRANSFER FROM TCNJ TO ANOTHER EXCHANGE VISITOR PROGRAM ONE month prior to program end date on the current DS-2019.
- The J-1 student should be admitted to the transfer-in school at the time of application for transfer request. This will insure that the student’s SEVIS record is transferred in a timely manner.
Change of Status to another Non-Immigrant Category:
Exchange visitors who are not subject to the 2-year home country physical presence requirement are eligible to apply to change status to any other visa type for which they qualify.
Exchange visitors who are subject to the 2-year home country physical presence requirement are not eligible to change to any other status in the U.S. except A (diplomatic or government official) or G (international organization).