The College of New Jersey Logo

Apply     Visit     Give     |     Alumni     Parents     Offices     TCNJ Today     Three Bar Menu

J-1 Status

Maintaining Your J-1 Status

In order for individuals to stay temporarily in the U.S. as J-1 Exchange Visitors, they must follow or comply with specific regulations of the U.S. Department of State. This is referred to as “maintaining lawful J-1 status” or “being in lawful J-1 status”. The regulations are listed below. To be in lawful status and to maintain lawful J-1 status a student must:

  • Maintain required medical insurance, medical evacuation and repatriation insurance
  • Pursue a full-course of study (Undergrads 3 units/12 credits; Grads 9 credits) EVERY semester for the ENTIRE semester. Classes taken for ‘audit’ do not count toward the full course of study
  • Apply for a program extension prior to the expiration date on your DS-2019 if you are not able to complete your studies by that date
  • Depart the U.S. within 30 days following the end date on your DS-2019 or actual program completion date.
  • DO NOT engage in any off-campus employment without prior authorization from your J program sponsor
  • Notify the A. Family Center for Global Engagement if you intend to transfer from TCNJ to another school within the U.S.
  • Keep the Ar. Family Center for Global Engagement informed of your current residential U.S. address at all times and within 10 days of any move
  • Notify the A. Family Center for Global Engagement if your J-2 dependent spouse or children arrive in the U.S.

Failure to comply with government regulations could result in serious consequences including removal from the US. For this reason, we strongly urge you to contact the Arlotto Family Center for Global Engagement (Roscoe West 202) or email if you have questions. We want you to avoid difficulty and have a productive and enjoyable program while at The College of New Jersey.

REMEMBER, maintaining your J-1 status in the United States is your responsibility. You are expected to know and comply with federal regulatory restrictions relative to your status.