The College of New Jersey Logo

Apply     Visit     Give     |     Alumni     Parents     Offices     TCNJ Today     Three Bar Menu

Important Documents


Your passport must be valid at least six months into the future. Report a lost or stolen passport to the police, as your home country government may require a police report before issuing a new passport. To renew or replace your passport, contact your country’s embassy or consulate. Due to TCNJ’s location you will most likely be required to New York City, Philadelphia, or Washington, D.C. to process your request.

F-1 Visa

An F-1 visa that the U.S. consular officials place in your passport indicates that you are eligible to enter or re-enter the U.S. as an F-1 student. It does not determine your length of stay in the U.S. If your F-1 visa expires while you are in the U.S., it is not necessary to renew it as long as you remain in the country. A visa can only be secured at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate overseas. It is best to return to your home country to renew your visa as needed.

I-94 Admission Record

Customs and Border Patrol officer will stamp a student’s passport and write “F-1 D/S,” when an F-1 student enters the U.S.  D/S stands for “duration of status” and refers to the length of time an F-1 student is permitted to remain temporarily in the U.S. to pursue a full course of study. Except for brief visits (30 days or less) to Canada, Mexico and Adjacent Islands, a new admission number will be issued each time you enter the U.S.

Students may need to provide their admission number to various offices and agencies of state and federal governments. In order to access your I-94 admission number, please go to this Customs and Border Patrol website.

Form I-20: Certificate of Eligibility

An I-20 form is issued by the U.S. school you attend and allows you to: 1) apply for an F-1 visa; 2) enter or re-enter the U.S. to pursue your studies; and 3) receive other immigration benefits. The I-20 must remain valid and accurate at all times throughout your study. You are required to save every I-20 issued to you for your permanent record. Do not discard old ones.

Reasons you will need a new I-20

  • You apply to TCNJ as a new undegraduate, graduate, or english language student
  • You change status to F-1
  • You have added employment information for CPT or OPT
  • You have changed your major
  • You have changed the end date of your program
  • You have changed your name
  • Your citizenship changes