The College of New Jersey Logo

Apply     Visit     Give     |     Alumni     Parents     Offices     TCNJ Today     Three Bar Menu

Transferring Schools

Transferring Schools and Exchange Visitor Programs (for J-1 Students)

An exchange visitor in any participant category may transfer from one program sponsor to another if the purpose of the transfer is to complete the objective for which s/he was admitted to exchange visitor status and if the exchange visitor remains within the same visitor category.

The responsible officer (RO) shall verify the exchange visitor’s visa status and program eligibility and contact the current sponsor to request the release of the student from their program. Upon the effective transfer date in SEVIS, the residing officer of the new program shall provide the J-1 student with his or her copy of the new form DS-2019. A transfer should be processed before the end date of the prior DS-2019.

A J-1 student must have the permission of their current program sponsor to transfer and the new program must be in keeping with the original purpose for which the exchange visitor student came to the U.S.

You should speak to your home institution, and gain acceptance to another exchange program before requesting a transfer.

Change of Status to another Non-Immigrant Category:

Exchange visitors who are not subject to the 2-year home country physical presence requirement are eligible to apply to change status to any other visa type for which they qualify.

Exchange visitors who are subject to the 2-year home country physical presence requirement are not eligible to change to any other status in the U.S. except A (diplomatic or government official) or G (international organization).